News & Updates
One of the focuses for the Cleveland Society of Human Resource Management (CSHRM) Workforce Readiness mission is to ensure that today and tomorrow’s workforce has the skills, competencies and behaviours in order to succeed in today’s and tomorrow’s workplace. For this reason, CSHRM maintains a strategic alliance between business and education to accomplish this mission. As part of this initiative we are proud to support Junior Achievement (JA) whose mission is to inspire and prepare young people to succeed in a global economy. JA programs impact students’ lives by raising students’ educational and career aspirations, teaching students economic and financial knowledge and developing students’ job-related skills throughout Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake and Lorain counties.
Ohio Workforce Readiness Mission
To ensure that today and tomorrow’s workforce has the skills, competencies and behaviors in order to succeed in today’s and tomorrow’s workplace. Workforce readiness are advocates advancing the HR issues of work preparedness for all Ohio population through a strategic alliance between business and education.
This year the chapter is focusing on two target audiences within workforce readiness:
- Persons with disabilities entering the workplace
- New entrants in the workforce, specifically graduating students
Listed below are events, resources, and volunteer partnerships supporting our chapter’s workforce readiness goals.
- Website Accessibility Resource Initiative: Helps ensure your website is ADA-compliant (http://www.w3.org/WAI/)
- Bobby: Sponsored as a free service by the Center for Applied Special Technology, Bobby allows you to run an accessibility check on your Web site in seconds. (http://www.cast.org/bobby/)
- U.S.Department of Justice Americans with Disabilities Act Home Page: (http://www.ada.gov/)
- ADA, Disability and Accessibility Online Resources (http://www.smgov.net/uploadedFiles/Portals/AccessibleSM/Resources%20for%20ASM%200910%20update.pdf)
New Employment Initiatives for Veterans (http://www.dol.gov/vets/goldcard.html)
Support from Behind the Lines: 10 Steps to Becoming a Military-Ready Employer
bit.ly/militarytoolkit or http://www.shrm.org/TemplatesTools/Toolkits/Documents/12-0177%20Behind_the_Lines_Toolkit_FNL.pdf
PaYS Program: candidate selection, job fairs, candidate matching (http://www.armypays.com)
- Recruit Military: job postings, candidate sourcing, job fairs (http://www.recruitmilitary.com)
- OhioVets Can: free job posting board for military-friendly organizations (http://www.ohiovetscan.com)
- Veteran Education Benefits: list of education benefits available to veterans that can reduce your training/education expenses (http://www.gibill.va.gov/post-911/)
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR): USERRA online training, sample HR policies, fact sheet, resources (http://www.esgr.org)
- 10 Reasons to Hire a Vet (http://www.hireheroesusa.org/companies/why-hire-a-veteran)
- Taskforce on the Aging of American Workforce: research, studies, and resources addressing the aging workforce (http://www.doleta.gov/reports/dpld_older_worker.cfm)
- Disability and Business Technical Assistance Centers (DBTACs): offers information and referrals, technical assistance, public awareness, and training on all aspects of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) (http://www.dbtac.vcu.edu/Static/Home.aspx)